Saturday, April 23, 2011

Have YOU Done Any Good In The World Today?

I don't know about you but I think that girls who wear flowers in their hair are so darling. It must be the POLYNESIAN in me or something.

I have a hobby that I really enjoy. It is making jewelry and hair/clothing accessories. Having said this I've been thinking for awhile that I'd like to donate these cute hair accessories to a charity. While discussing with my family about "WHO?" I could donate to. The charity that was brought up was The Mustard Seed. This is a school here in Sacramento that provides schooling to the homeless children living in our area. I've made a bunch of these hair flower clips but I'd like to continue to make them and was wondering if any of you would like to donate some of the supplies or moneys to make this happen. Many of these children at this school only stay for just a few weeks before their families decide to up and leave. I'm hoping that many little girls will be able to receive a few of these to put in their hair. It will be something that is "Theirs."

The supplies that are needed and used are:

Any kind of silk/artificial flowers ( I like to go to the Dollar tree)
Alligator clips (Walmart is the cheapest 30 for $2.00)
Any kind or colors of ribbon
Glue sticks

If you have any questions you can email me at mtvuki@comcast.net. Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided!






Isn't she pretty? I love her little style! So cute!


http://www.sacloaves.org/programs/mustardseedschool

Mustard Seed is a free, private school for children 3-15 years old which provides a safe, nurturing and structured environment, a positive learning experience, happy memories, survival resources of food, clothing and shelter referrals, medical and dental screenings, immunization updates, counseling for children and their parents, and assistance entering or reentering public schools.

Mustard Seed School was established in 1989 to help meet the needs of homeless children. Many school age children do not attend school because of their homelessness; some lack immunizations, birth certificates, or other documents, some are in transit, and almost all lack a support system. In spite of their situations these children are eager to learn and to be accepted.

Many homeless children are not enrolled in school because the places their families find to sleep are often not near a child's school and the family only plans to be there a short time. Sometimes the school needs an address or updated immunizations which homeless families cannot provide.

From fifteen to thirty-five children may attend our school each day, and an average stay is just three to four weeks. Some children have been out of school for a long time and need help to go back. A major goal of the Program is to prepare and enroll homeless children into public schools, and preschool for younger children, when families have found housing stability. Since the school began, over 4500 individual children have participated in Mustard Seed.

No comments: